Sassy Saturday: Sickle City.
Posted: Jun 28 2014
Yes, we know. We missed last week! Sorry everyone, things got a little out of control with both Alexandra and I being in Jackson for the USA IBC. A little late, but we're back! :) Did you miss us and our sassiness? Probably not, but that's okay.
Picture: David Donnelly from the Royal Ballet
This week's #sassysaturday blog post is dedicated to those boys and girls who just can't seem to straighten their foot. Like, if you took a picture of them, you could probably post it on the Sickle City Tumblr page, and get at least a thousand notes on it. Don't know what I'm talking about, here's the link to that: http://sicklecity.tumblr.com/ You'll see what I mean. So these boys and girls, like WHY do you sickle? It's one of those things I don't understand. Your foot is crooked... you might sprain your ankle? And yet, it continues day to day.
Here are a couple of reasons why you SHOULDN'T ever sickle.
- You'll sprain your ankle, as mentioned before.
- You'll sprain your ankle even more if you go on pointe. This has actually happened to me before. I was on crutches for three months because I pirouetted (is that even a word?) with my foot crooked.
- It just looks plain ugly. It's supposed to angle in the OTHER direction.
- It is super distracting from the audience's point of view because your entire leg just doesn't look stable. Not to mention short looking.
- Did I mention you would break your foot?
But anyway, I guess learning to NOT sickle is something you learn when you're younger? If you do it, blame your former self for not listening and your teacher for giving up on you. SHAME ON YOU. Have you seen that Free People ad? Yup, that girl sickles. THAT IS WHY, dancers cringe when they watch that commercial.